Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lean on me

When I decided to start this blog the purpose was to write about all of the crazy things I like to do.  From time to time it may get serious.  While the serious topics will be few and far between this is going to be one of them.  

Friends.

I have never been one to keep too many friends at once.  I've always been a shy girl and had a difficult time making friends because I'm not really comfortable talking to people I don't know.  Only my closest friends and family really know me.  They know how silly I am, they know how much I like to laugh, act goofy, cut up, and joke around.  Those who do not know never see that side of me.  

At this point in my life I would have to say that I am rich when it comes to the friends I have.  I have more friends in my life right now than I can sometimes keep up with and I love it.  Sometimes it is a little overwhelming because I'm not use to it but I wouldn't change it for anything.  More important than the quantity of friends is the quality of the friends I have.  These are people who I can say truly care about me instead of just being acquaintances.  I can say this because these people have been there for me through a particularly difficult time in my life recently.  

The end of a relationship is never an easy thing to deal with for anyone but I've had an exceptionally hard time dealing with one for the past 7 months.  Each and every one of these friends have been there for me with a shoulder to cry on when I needed it the most.  During these past 7 months I have found that people who were friends prior to this have positioned themselves in my life to be lifelong friends; some who were merely acquaintances have become close friends; old friends have become new friends; and non-friends have become friends.  One very important friend passed away 3 months ago and although he can never be replaced another has quickly stepped up to fill his shoes which is not an easy task.

I love each and every one of these people for what they have done for me and I owe them so much more than the thanks that I am able to give.  Most know that they have touched me but some may not realize what their kind words meant.  Some have no idea just how many times they talked me off the ledge while others simply made me laugh and brightened my day.  For all of these people I am very grateful and would like to say thank you to all of them.  

I am hesitant to list names for fear of accidentally leaving someone off but I'm going to give it my best shot...

Benny: You are always in my heart my friend.  I miss your big smile and your silly sense of humor. I know you are looking down on me everyday wishing you could kick my ass for crying so much.  Thank you.  I love you.

Nicole: You may think I don't listen to you but I do even though I go left when you tell me to go right.  Thank you.  I love you.

Dianne: I'm so thankful to have you back in my life.  You always listen, never judge and you come up with some funny as hell nicknames for people we do not like.  "Fiona" will go down as the funniest ever. Thank you.  I love you.

James: You are one of my oldest and dearest friend.  We've had our ups and downs but always find our way back to each other. Thank you.  I love you.

Jay C. (aka Sparklepuss): What can I say other than love ya!  Thank you.  I love you.

Cassandra: You always make me laugh with the crazy stories about your crazy husband and they are always laughs that I need. Thank you.  I love you.

Kimberlee: You've been one of my biggest cheerleaders and always been there to listen and give advice when I needed you.  Thank you.  I love you.

Amy: My oldest friend who has come back into my life.  You always know just what to say when I need you.  Thank you.  I love you.

Jamie:  Oh, Jamie.  It was a crazy ride for us and we lost a lot of time over something that should not have happened.  I'm glad to have you back in my life and thankful for your straight talk.  You've gone right back to being one of my biggest ass kickers just like you always were.  Thank you.  I love you.

Darrin: You always know how to make me laugh.  Thank you.  I love you.

Jay R (affectionately known as Big Poppa):  You started off with many strikes against you but quickly became a very good friend.  You make me laugh, you make me cry but more importantly - you make me think.  You have stepped up and filled some pretty big shoes that are no longer here to kick my ass.  I know he would approve and say he left me in good hands.  You have inspired me and encouraged me to actually do new things instead of just talking about them.  And don't forget that you owe me 12 Starbucks gift cards and some Cheetos and stop talking about my Pioneer Woman cooking skills.  Thank you.  I love you. 

Ty:  You made me see and realize things I couldn't see on my own.  Thank you.  I love you.


I only hope that I can repay each of you for the friendship you have shown me.

Hmm.  In typing this out I realized 2 things.  1) I better start saving now for "Best Friends" day gifts and 2) I know too many darn Jays - some of y'all got to change your name.

Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies.
Aristotle




1 comment:

  1. between my teen/young 20s to now (mid-30s), i've watched my circle of friends shrink from 20+ to about 10 or 12. back then, it was all about the masses; now, it's quality i seek.

    btw, i'm on the MUA board too and we exchanged blog URLs :)

    ReplyDelete